Friday, October 05, 2007

Coffee Break with a Legend...



I met Chris Economaki yesterday. He was the very first to do what I'm doing right now. He's also the very best. I have so many fond memories of watching him on TV when I was young, but nothing will ever compare to spending about an hour just talking with him yesterday.

And, the man was taking notes, constantly... on what I was saying...????? I don't know what to make of it, but I hope I was able to give him something he can use. We talked about current things - the race, the new surface on the track, and lots of racing history. Mr. Economaki's memory dates back long before we had television, and he's better at describing a scene than anything you'll see in HD on Speed Channel today.

Chris is just shy of his 87th birthday now, and obviously doesn't get around quite as easily as he used to. But he's still quick with a great story, his wit hasn't suffered in the least, and he could charm the habit right off of a nun.

I hope I get to see him again soon.

No comments: